Gormley statue placed without planning permission

A seven foot statue has been erected on the roof of Exeter College, despite it lacking planning permission.

The £250,000 sculpture by Antony Gormley must be removed if the college fails to get permission.

The Lord Mayor of Oxford, Susanna Pressel, called the situation “regrettable.”

However, Exeter’s Home Bursar, Eric Bennett, expressed his determination for the statue, given to the college by an anonymous donor, to remain on the rooftop. He said, “we’ll appeal if the permission isn’t granted and we’re convinced that we’re going to win.”

Bennett has denied that the college did not follow the correct procedures. He said, “We’ve done everything they told us to do.”

“We were given a timetable to keep to – the council officers gave it to us. However, the councilors changed their mind and decided that the matter should be handled by the councilors themselves. This caused the delay.”

Pressel said, “it’s not against the law to apply for permission retrospectively.”
But she confirmed that if the permission is not granted, the sculpture will have to be taken down. She added, “in practice the applicants may well appeal against any decision to refuse permission, leaving the sculpture (as Antony prefers to call it) in place until the appeal is decided.”

A student at Exeter commented on the situation, saying, “I think the worst thing possible would be if the council demands that the statue has to be taken down. It would be extremely embarrassing and humiliating for the college.
I don’t see what any of the fuss is about regarding planning permission. If Exeter wants to put something on its own roof then it should be allowed to. That you need permission to it is far to bureaucratic.”

Antony Gormley himself attended the sculpture’s unveiling on Sunday. He said, “I’m very pleased with how it has been put together and he’s [the iron-cast man] in very good company up there.”

He added, “There are some fine regal types on top of the Sheldonian, and various other statues there to keep him company.”

Ed Moores, Exeter’s JCR President described the sculpture as “fantastic”. He said, “It is a great achievement for the college to have some high-profile art.”