Students gather at vigil for Nex Benedict

CW: Transphobia, Homophobia, Death

Around fifty students gathered Monday evening to attend a vigil organised by the SU LGBTQ+ Campaign to mourn for Nex Benedict. Attendees gathered outside the Radcliffe Camera to listen to speakers, hold a moment of silence, and decorate Radcliffe Square with flowers, signs, and candles.

Benedict, a 16-year old student from Oklahoma, died last month after a fight in their high school. Following their death, classmates told reporters that Benedict had previously been bullied for their gender identity. The federal Department of Education launched an investigation into the school district after the President of the Human Rights Campaign wrote a letter asking for an investigation into whether the school had “unlawfully failed to address the discrimination and harassment to which Nex was subjected.”

Co-chair of the LGBTQ+ campaign, Joel Aston, told Cherwell: “This is the second teenager in the past year who’s been murdered for being trans, and that’s being upheld by governments and institutional systems. No matter how powerless trans people feel, it’s important to know that there’s always a community. I hope Nex gets justice and that the system in place is held accountable.”

Oxford experienced its own tragedy previously in 2017 when Erin Shepherd, a researcher at Corpus Christi College, committed suicide by cyanide after she came out as transgender. 

Most colleges adopt the wording of the 2010 Equality Act, which considers “gender reassignment” as a protected characteristic but not those identifying as transgender before transitioning. As of this past Michaelmas term, Corpus and Regent’s Park are the only two colleges to define transphobia in its harassment policy.

Chrissie Chevasutt, an outreach worker appointed by St Columba’s United Reformed Church to focus on the trans, intersex, and non-binary communities, spoke of Shepherd’s death: “It’s essential that we gather to comfort one another and encourage one another in solidarity, and that we build community, so that no trans person should feel isolated or alone. Whilst we hate to gather for such a tragic event, it’s absolutely necessary, and I’m grateful to the students for leading as they do.” She praised SU President-Elect and President of OULGBTQ Society, Addi Haran Diman, and Aston for their leadership.

Elliot (Riz) Possnett, the activist who glued themselves to the Union chamber floor last year during Kathleen Stock’s speaker event, read their poem “queer care: a manifesto for the young and trans” at the vigil: “When we speak of queer care, we speak of a kindness that must be prepared to bite…I feel the suffering of every trans person in the history of this cruel, cold world. 

“And f*** it, queer cares. I’m going to live out of spite. [Queer care] is the courage to love and be loved, it’s the wisdom to remain vigilant. Be ready to fight for your life. Queer care is hope with teeth.”

Aston, Luca Di Bona, Carson Mendheim, and Evie Craggs also spoke at the vigil. Afterward, attendees were invited to use a safe space in Brasenose.