Café Circuit: Colombia Coffee Roasters

Indulge in the deep bitter flavours of Colombia Coffee Roasters

Nestled in the Covered Market, Colombia Coffee Roasters brings authentic Colombian coffee, hot chocolates and delicious baked goods to Oxford.

The coffee served here is of the highest quality, with the beans sourced from the family farm in Colombia and then hand-roasted in Oxford. This gives the coffee a deep, bitter flavour, which, although not to everyone’s taste, I love.

As someone who doesn’t like their drinks too sweet, another favourite of mine is their hot chocolate – made from rich, dark, Colombian chocolate, they have the perfect level of sweetness without becoming sickly. There’s a hot chocolate menu, so you can choose your preferred cacao percentage and sugariness.

They also have a large variety of loose leaf teas to choose from, with some really interesting flavours, such as mint choc chip. These are strongly infused, but not stewed, and full of flavour.

To perfectly complement the slightly bitter note of the hot drinks, Colombia Coffee Roasters also has on offer a delicious array of baked goods. The pastries, such as the apple crumble or almond croissant, are perfectly cooked and flaky, but undoubtedly the best of their sweet treats are the brownies. The cheesecake brownie is sweet and dense, although the ultimate winner has to be the salted caramel brownie – the perfect gooey-ness and the caramel is to-die-for.

Also on offer is a selection of savoury food, such as empanadas and quiches, if you’re looking for something slightly more substantial.

Although the prices here are definitely higher than at many other independent Oxford coffee shops, with a small hot chocolate being nearly £4, the incredibly friendly staff almost make up for it. They are always keen to give you advice if you don’t know what to get, and genuinely care that you enjoy your drink and experience.