The Secret Knoopologist 2:  Make it a mocha

The Secret Knoopologist returns for another week of insider tips.

Another week has passed and no doubt far too many hot chocolates have been consumed.  My advice? – treat it as a form of self-care!  I always tell regulars, a chocolate (or two) a day keeps the doctor away.

Knoops is obviously famed for its hot chocolates and that’s certainly the thing that makes people keep on coming back but there is one item on the menu that sometimes goes under the radar: the mocha.

I think this is for a few reasons.  For a start, most people don’t realise that it’s on offer, drawn in simply by the standard chocolates.  After that though, even more are unaware that you can personalise it to your heart’s content, just like a chocolate.  And this is where you enter a world of possibilities…

The mochas are made much like the hot chocolates and not by merely adding a powder like many cafes.  The chocolate is still melted in whatever milk you have chosen to achieve that perfect frothiness (the essence of the chocolate as Jens himself might say!) and then the espresso is added afterwards, allowing it to flow through the whole drink.

The standard mocha is offered at 54% but if you ask me, you are best going for a much darker option.  The 80% Uganda is my preferred to give that smoky touch to the coffee.  Otherwise, the 64% brings a fruity element into play and the 72% from Peru has a distinct bitterness that works superbly.

Elsewhere, the mocha milkshake can serve as the ultimate indulgence.  The 96% and the 80% both bring an intensity balanced out by the ice cream to make a dream combination.  Feeling out of the box?  Go for the 28%.  Usually, the white chocolate is far too sweet with the soft-serve milkshake but the coffee can bring in that perfect balance whilst still having the sweet vanilla notes.

That’s it from me this week – check back soon for more advice and tips on how to make the most of that Turl Street indulgence…

Image: CC2:0//Via Wikimedia commons.