AJ Tracey: Live and Direct from the Oxford Union

Jack Twyman and Izzie Alexandrou report.

AJ Tracey, the West London rapper, songwriter and producer, spoke at the Oxford Union on Monday 17th October.

The talk gave insight into Tracey’s musical achievements and personal background, as he discussed his journey from Ladbroke Grove to the top of the UK charts. Walking into a packed chamber, the rapper was met with rapturous applause, although the Union stage represents a very different space to Tracey’s usual festival performances.

Taking questions from students, the rapper was asked whether it was a risk to pursue music from his background coming of a single-parent, low-income household. However, Tracey recalled that it was an easy decision to make. “Life is about risks,” he told the chamber. “A life without risks is not a life worth living. But evidently, music was the right decision for me.”

He also admitted that, contrary to widespread belief, his favourite song was “Little More Love.” 

During the talk, Tracey also recalled his experiences with discrimination and racial profiling. “I’ve faced discrimination every step of the way. I remember my Spanish teacher in school bringing me and my black friend to the front of the class and asking the class: what’s the difference between you and them? Hearing her say “these two are more likely to fail than you lot” was difficult to hear.”

In light of the discrimination he faced, however, Tracey has just established a fund to support Black and Ethnic Minority students at St Peters College, Oxford.

Asked about his motivation for establishing the fund, he returned to his own background, saying Oxford was somewhere where he would have loved to be educated. As an establishment which is “a privilege to attend,” the rapper aims to “help underrepresented students have an easier time.” 

Aiming to improve diversity at the university, Tracey claimed that small steps are needed to make big progress, starting with things as simple as a more diverse food menu in college halls. 

“From replacing laptops to sorting out travel,” Tracey’s fund will provide students with essential financial support. Outreach is also a key part of his plan, which aims to visit underprivileged areas to encourage young people to apply to Oxford. 

The rapper emphasised the importance of the fund, saying “if the system is weighted toward white students, it’s up to people like me to level the playing field. There is a lot more education we need to give out regarding white privilege.” 

Tracey says he is prepared to face criticism about the fund, commenting that “some people see it as unfair that white students are not getting the same funding.” He acknowledged that more education and outreach is needed to ensure that racism is challenged in society, and is prepared to face any criticism he may receive. 

These concerns come after the rapper Stormzy was denied the opportunity to set up a similar scholarship for black students at Cambridge. In light of this, Tracey commented; “It’s better not to dwell on things that have been denied. At least we’re doing it now.” 

He emphasised that he was content using his platform to promote social good, regardless of the consequences. “If you make a platform you can do what you want with it,” Tracey said, highlighting that, most of the time, the people who judge him are not practising what they preach. “No one can choose what I do with my platform.”