Cockroach chaos: Exeter infestation crawls on

Freya Jones and Izzie Alexandrou report.

A cockroach infestation has taken hold in Exeter College’s off-site accommodation, affecting approximately 60 students. Access to kitchen facilities has been limited for nearly a month and pest control intervention in students’ rooms is ongoing. 

The cockroaches, initially described by Exeter’s domestic bursar as a “maintenance issue,” have been found in bathrooms, near sinks and on washing products, while others were seen crawling on the kitchen fridges. 

Students report that this has sparked a rent strike, with around 36 affected residents refusing to pay their battels. However, an Exeter College spokesperson did not believe this to be accurate and said they are not aware of a single student refusing to pay their battels.

On 30th September, Exeter College staff sent an email to the affected residents – second, third, and fourth years living in Cohen Quad – prohibiting use of the 1st and 2nd floor kitchens due to maintenance concerns. A second email, sent on 4th October, informed students that the kitchen facilities would be closed until 17th October, and in order to compensate for the inconvenience, they would be given a 60% reduction in Hall food prices.

Nearly two weeks later, the college maintenance team finally admitted to finding “evidence of cockroach activity” in the kitchens, after students themselves reported the infestation. They were then informed that the area would be out of bounds for a further two weeks, until the 29th October, with cockroach traps being placed in all 1st floor bedrooms to monitor activity. 

The college is now offering Cohen Quad residents a 100% discount on hall food while the kitchens are closed. However, one Exeter student affected by the cockroach fiasco told Cherwell that this is not enough. “College only serves food at a very specific time,” they explained, “so if you have a tutorial, you’re rushed to get back to college so you can eat. It also poses a problem for those with eating disorders, as without a kitchen, they have no control over their meals which can be distressing.” 

The student added: “We’re paying almost £2k a term, only to have roaches in our bathrooms and no access to college kitchens. And as a non-British person, I have to say, sorry, I do not want your college food, even if it’s for free.”

Another Exeter College student told Cherwell:The cockroach infestation has impacted my trust in college. Their lack of transparency about the situation has proven to me that this college continuously treats us like children. This whole time they’ve told us “suck it up” about something that could potentially be a health hazard.” 

A spokesperson for Exeter College said: “Following sightings of cockroaches in Cohen Quad, pest controllers are taking appropriate measures to eradicate the insects as quickly as possible, including spraying the affected communal kitchens, which are closed, and the deployment of monitors. The College deeply regrets this unfortunate situation and we are grateful for students’ patience and support as we take the necessary action, and we will continue to keep them updated.

“We are liaising closely with student representatives to ensure the welfare of all students. The College has offered a 100% discount on meals taken in College, and those students who prefer to cook for themselves can use unaffected kitchens both on site and at the College’s Turl Street site.”

Exeter College has been contacted for additional comment on the rent strike; this article will be updated to reflect the ongoing situation and responses received.