EXCLUSIVE: Union debates, 0th week speakers and ball theme released

Speakers include Sam Gyimah, who is speaking on the opposite side of the no confidence motion since last year, and right-wing American commentator Candace Owens.

The Oxford Union has released part of its term card for Michaelmas, including all debates, 0th week speakers and the theme for this term’s ball, in a Cherwell exclusive.

As well as the traditional ‘no confidence’ debate to begin the academic year, this term will feature debates on authoritarianism, space travel, and the environmental crisis. 

Sam Gyimah MP is speaking in favour of the ‘no confidence’ motion, having spoken against it last year before he left the Conservative party for the Liberal Democrats.

Also featured are controversial Turning Point USA contributor Candace Owens, philosopher A.C Grayling and Conservative Chairman Sir Graham Brady.

Owens, a prominent Trump supporter, has been criticised for her remarks on Muslims and Hitler, as well as her support for the fascist Front National.

Other 0th week speakers include footballer Cesc Fabregas, New Zealand cricket captain Kane Williamson, FCC chairman Ajit Pai and Disney CEO Bob Iger. 

The Union Ball theme is ‘Paradise/Lost’. In a promotional statement for the ball, the Union stated: “It’s the cheapest ball in Oxford this term, with a ticket including free food and drink, live music, and entertainment from fortune tellers to a fairground ride and a silent disco in the Union’s chamber”.

List of Debates

1st Week, Thursday 17th October, 8:30pm – “This House Has No Confidence In Her Majesty’s Government” 

2nd Week, Thursday 24th October, 8:30pm – “This House Believes It Can’t Happen Here” 

3rd Week, Thursday 31st October, 8:30pm – “This House Has Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself” (Comedy Debate)

4th Week, Thursday 7th November, 8:30pm – “This House Would Break The Law To Save The Planet” 

5th Week, Thursday 14th November, 8:30pm – “This House Would Impeach President Trump” 

6th Week, Thursday 21st November, 8:30pm – “This House Believes The Mainstream Media Cannot Be Trusted”

7th Week, Thursday 28th November, 8:30pm – “This House Believes The Future Is In Space” 

0thWeek Speakers

Tuesday 8th October, 5:00pm, Michael Dapaah – Actor and Comedian, Big Shaq

Wednesday 9th October, 5:00pm, Steve Huffman – Co-founder and CEO of Reddit

Wednesday 9th October, 8:00pm, Ajit Pai – Chairman of the FCC

Thursday 10th October, 5:00pm, Kane Williamson – Captain of New Zealand’s Cricket Team

Thursday 10th October, 8:00pm, Bob Iger – Chairman and CEO of the Walt Disney Company

Friday 11th October, 7:00pm, Cesc Fabregas – World and European Champion Footballer