This morning school students across Oxford and the surround area left class to march at another climate change strike held in the city centre.

In what was the city’s seventh Youth Strike 4 Climate event, hundreds gathered to make known their opposition to global pollution and widespread damage to the environment. 

Chris Church of Oxford Friends of the Earth said: “This is the largest environmental demonstration Oxford has ever seen.

“It is a wonderful tie-in to all the other things which are happening around the planet at the same time”.

Oxford MP Anneliese Dodds, MP for Oxford East, said: “I think it is really humbling to see a huge number of young people here today and they are very clear that we need to act now. We cannot keep putting action off”.

These protests came as part of climate strikes all across the UK, and the rest of the world. Thousands descended on central London to hear activists speak, as well as Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn who described himself as ‘absolutely delighted’ by the protests. 

However, Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said “every child” should be in school. He added that “they should be learning, they shouldn’t be bunking off and it’s very irresponsible for people to encourage children to do so”.

Demonstrations have been held in every continent, and millions are thought to have attended climate strike events across the world.