UCU organises “rally” in support of suspended Ruskin College union representative

The University and College Union (UCU) described Dr Lee Humber’s alleged suspension as being “on bogus charges” and organised a protest outside the college.

The Unirsity and College Union (UCU) organised a rally following the suspension of their representative at Ruskin College, Dr Humber on Monday 1 April by the Principal of Ruskin College, Paul Di Felice.

The exact reasons for his suspension were not revealed to Cherwell. The UCU alleged the charges were false, and also linked the suspension to the “recent overwhelming vote of no confidence in the Principal by Ruskin College UCU branch.”

In their press release, the UCU stated: “[the suspension] comes at a time when Ruskin College is supposed to be celebrating its 120th anniversary as a college that has strong links with the labour and trade union movement in Britain and internationally.

“UCU is calling for the immediate reinstatement of Dr Lee Humber and for the bogus charges against Lee to be dropped.”

The Business Development Manager at Ruskin, Nicki O’Shea, told Cherwell: “Further to the press release from the local branch of UCU, Ruskin College would like to clarify that the information contained therein is factually incorrect and represents the views of a small percentage of college staff.

“The issues referred to are not connected and, as they relate to internal matters, the College has no further comment to make on this.”

The union organised a “rally” to be held outside the College at 1pm on Wednesday 3 April.

The Chair of Ruskin College UCU Desmond McDermott told Cherwell: “The meeting is part of the campaign to reinstate Dr Lee Humber who is a member of Ruskin College UCU branch and a trade union representative.”

Members of Oxford’s Socialist Worker’s Party turned out to support the reinstatement.

Founded in 1899, Ruskin College is an independent educational institution affiliated to the university.