Oriel JCR to debate motion condemning Governing Body

A series of motions criticising the actions taken by Oriel’s Governing Body over Rhodes Must Fall last week are set to be debated tonight by Oriel JCR.

Following a meeting of Governing Body last week, the College resolved not to remove the statue of Cecil Rhodes, despite having pledged in December to conduct a six-month ‘listening exercise’ scheduled to begin this month.

Four motions have been proposed by the JCR President:

“i. This JCR condemns Governing Body for failing to listen to the voices of students in relation to the issues surrounding the fate of the statue and plaque commemorating Cecil Rhodes and, in doing this, revoking the opportunity that was promised to students in the six month listening exercise.

“ii. This JCR condemns the College for failing to inform the JCR President that an unscheduled Governing Body meeting took place and for failing to brief the JCR President about it beforehand.

“iii. This JCR condemns the gross breach of trust that led to The Telegraph acquiring and publishing Governing Body papers relating to the statue and plaque commemorating Cecil Rhodes.

“iv. This JCR calls for Oriel College to create the position of ‘Tutor for Equality’, and to consult the student body at every stage of the creation and implementation of this position.”

Documents leaked by The Telegraph purportedly from the Governing Body meeting in question suggest that the College was faced with significant financial threats from donors opposed to the removal of the statue of Cecil Rhodes.