Both the Oxford University Business Guild and the Oxford Ice Hockey Trust have won awards at the annual Enterprising Student Society Accreditation (ESSA) competition, going up against 200 other societies from across the country.

The ESSA is sponsored by the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and describes itself as “a unique programme that is designed to recognise and reward the enterprising work being done by students who are members of societies.” The awards were judged by an independent panel of entrepreneurs, journalists and representatives from RBS.

The Ice Hockey Trust was awarded runner-up in the ‘Most Innovative Event’ category after having hosted a special charity event for Breast Cancer, run a successful 94th Varsity match, and established an annual alumni Varsity match which altogether raised over £7,500.

The Trust is currently a registered charity that became independent of the University in 2012.

Meanwhile the Oxford Guild was awarded runner-up for ‘Best Professional Development Programme.’ Commenting to Cherwell, Stratis Limnios, Co-President of the Oxford Guild, stated that, “Our successes are the direct result of the committee’s innovation, initiative and fact that they care the most and work the hardest.”

Co-President Abbas Kazmi also praised the Guild’s Committe’s effort, saying, “It has been a truly amazing year and we look forward to continuing our success and work! We look set for another exciting year ahead so watch this space.”

Over 300 students from 30 universities attended the awards. They were hosted by former Radio 1 controller Andy Parfitt and the award presenters included the original Stig from Top Gear and Winter Olympic medallist Jenny Jones.