The ten best iced lattes in Oxford

Summer has arrived! Well, not quite, but as the weather picks up, more and more of us will be needing icy cold beverages for fuel and refreshment. Fortunately, my iced coffee addiction is non-seasonal, and I’ve been generous enough to try a plethora of iced lattes and rank them so you don’t have to.

Some disclaimers before we get into the list: firstly, this list is entirely based on my opinion. Secondly, I am yet to try every café in Oxford, so if your favourite is missing, that’s probably why. Finally, prices may vary depending on how you like your lattes; I have judged the list based on the price for a medium drink with no additions.

10. Pret A Manger

Price: £3.85 (or £30/month subscription) Taste: 5/10 Experience: 5/10 Overall: 5/10

Perhaps it’s because I drank way too many of these when I had a subscription, but I really don’t like the taste of Pret’s coffee anymore. However, if you do have a subscription and buy a lot of drinks, this is the most economical option.

9. Starbucks

Price: £3.95 Taste: 6/10 Experience: 4/10 Overall: 5/10

The Starbucks on Cornmarket Street not having seats is a shame. That being said, I consider Starbucks’ speciality to be their extremely sweet and customisable Frappuccinos, not their basic coffee, which is nothing special and generally regarded as overpriced. 

8. Taylors

Price: £3.80 Taste: 7/10 Experience: 6/10 Overall: 7/10

This is where the list gets good! Taylors’ coffee is nice and their cafés can be found all over Oxford, which is great for an independent shop, but I have nothing too special to say about the iced lattes in particular.

7. Vaults & Garden

Price: £3.80 Taste: 7/10 Experience: 8/10 Overall: 7/10

The iconic Vaults & Garden café right next to the Rad Cam is a must-visit for its delicious food and beautiful interior, but their iced lattes are great too. I would probably not go here just to get a coffee, but if you wanted some food or a pretty space to sit along with it, then this is your best bet.

6. Black Sheep Coffee

Price: £4.09 (£2 on Mondays with UNiDAYS) Taste: 7/10 Experience: 7/10 Overall: 7/10

Personally, I only ever go here on Mondays to take advantage of the student discount, because I think the drinks are otherwise overpriced. I really like their digital kiosks and the fact that you can choose which beans you want your drink to be made with.

5. Joe & the Juice

Price: £4.30 Taste: 9/10 Experience: 7/10 Overall: 7/10

The iced lattes from here are creamy and tasty, but unjustifiably expensive. It is also relatively far from the city centre, located at the back of Westgate. However, if you are willing to go the distance and to pay more for your coffee, then I do recommend it.

4. Ole & Steen

Price: £3.85 Taste: 8/10 Experience: 8/10 Overall: 8/10

Ole & Steen makes a really tasty iced latte, as well as great sweet treats. I also never have trouble finding a seat there. It is quite pricey, but if you download their app you can earn free drinks.

3. Society Café

Price: £3.70 Taste: 9/10 Experience: 9/10 Overall: 9/10

Definitely one of my favourite coffee shops to sit in, Society Café has a wide choice of beans if you like to customise your drink. Although it does get busy inside, they do have outdoor seats too, which are great now that the weather is improving. 

2. Colombia Coffee Roasters

Price: £4.50 Taste: 10/10 Experience: 8/10 Overall: 9/10

You can really tell that they care about their coffee here, and this is reflected in the incredible taste of their drinks. Unfortunately, they don’t have that many seats and their iced latte is quite pricey, but for a takeaway while you shop around the Covered Market, there is nowhere better.

1. Caffè Nero

Price: £3.75 (or £3.19 with student discount) Taste: 9/10 Experience: 9/10 Overall: 9/10

I always find myself coming back here because the iced lattes are just that delicious, refreshing and creamy. All of the Caffè Neros in Oxford are nice spaces to work in, but the one inside Blackwells is a particular favourite. They also have a loyalty system: if you get the app and link it to your uni email, you get 15% off, and every 5th drink is free if you use a reusable cup.