Exclusive: Nancy Pelosi, Jose Mourinho and Patrick J. Adams to speak at Oxford Union

Cherwell can exclusively reveal details of the Oxford Union’s Trinity 2024 term card. Speakers include 52nd Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi, football manager Jose Mourinho and actor Patrick J. Adams. 

Nancy Pelosi will give the Benazir Bhutto Memorial Lecture, and then later participate in a debate on populism with PoliticsJOE journalist Oli Dugmore. Pelosi, a Democrat, has held the position of Speaker for a total of eight years over two terms. She has enabled the passing of landmark bills such as Obamacare, the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 and repealing the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy. Notably, she presided over both of President Donald Trump’s impeachments.

Football manager Jose Mourinho is one of the most decorated managers in the sport. Recently added to the Italian Football Hall of Fame, he has led both Porto and Inter Milan to Champions League wins, being the youngest manager to reach 100 Champions League games. While he was overseeing Chelsea, the team broke the record for fewest goals conceded in a Premier League season. He has also managed English teams Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspurs, as well as Real Madrid and Roma. 

Patrick J. Adams has previously starred in ‘Suits’, receiving a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination for his role of Mike Ross. Adams co-produced the show from the third season onwards, also directing several episodes. In 2022, he performed in the Broadway revival of ‘Take Me Out’, which received a Tony for Best Revival of a Play. 

This term’s debates will include a debate on the future of the European Union, one on whether Britain is still a fighting military force to mark the anniversary of D-Day on the 6 June and a comedy debate with Caspar Lee and Tom Rosenthal. Additionally, floor prizes available include a night’s stay at Store Hotel with cocktails and breakfast, and a three course meal at The Perch. 

There will be a panel on judicial interference with a Pakistan Supreme Court Justice as well as one on the upcoming American election. The Rt Hon. The Lord Sewell of Sanderstead will deliver a talk entitled ‘The End of Race – The Real Drivers of Black Success’. 

Socials will include a Midsummer Night’s Dream themed ball, a piano concert and reception sponsored by Kawai and a beer garden. 

Discussing the upcoming term card, Oxford Union President Louis Wilson has told Cherwell: “I am delighted to present the term card for Trinity 2024 at the Oxford Union. We have endeavoured to reflect the diversity of voices within our membership for our events this term. There is the opportunity to challenge Nancy Pelosi one day and learn from Jose Mourinho the next.

“I am particularly proud to celebrate the Union’s military heritage with a debate to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the Normandy Landings. I sincerely hope everyone can find an event or social which they are interested in.”