Emma Watson to begin Masters studies in Oxford this autumn

Actress, creative director, and entrepreneur Emma Watson will undertake a Master’s in Creative Writing at Oxford starting in September.

Watson will be beginning an MSt in Creative Writing in Michaelmas 2023. The MSt, which is offered by the Department for Continuing Education, advertises itself as a deep and analytical exploration of literature and media. A “distinguishing feature” of the Oxford course, according to the University website, is a research placement which provides between “one and two weeks’ in-house experience of writing in the real world”. Watson stated in a recent interview with the Financial Times that she started to do more creative writing during the COVID-19 lockdown.

The Harry Potter mega-star has already previously studied at Oxford. Watson was enrolled at Brown University, in the United States, to study for a BA in English Literature and spent the 2011- 2012 academic year at Worcester College as part of the Visiting Student Programme.

During her time at Oxford, Watson was a full member of the Worcester JCR and had even been assigned college parents for the year.

Watson’s connection to Oxford goes back to her childhood, having previously attended the Dragon School, the Oxfordshire branch of Stagecoach Theatre Arts, and Headington School.