‘Step into Christmas’ with Out of the Blue’s Christmas charity single

Out of the Blue, an Oxford University a cappella group, has released its Christmas charity single for 2021. This year, the group is supporting Helen & Douglas House with the release of their version of Elton John’s Step Into Christmas

The arrangement of this year’s single was put together by the group’s musical director, Dec Foster, who said: “It has been such a difficult period for everyone in so many different ways, which made it feel amazing to get back to doing what we love.”

President of Out of the Blue, Darren Yang, told Cherwell: “After considering several options, the energy and sheer glee of Elton John’s Christmas tune seemed like the obvious choice. Step Into Christmas lends itself to shifts in tone and mood in the verses, but always has the vibrant chorus to return to, and we hope that this shines through in our music video!” 

He explained that there are essentially five parts to every music video release: song rehearsal, learning the choreography, recording the audio, filming shots for the video, and putting the audio and visuals together. Darren said that the visuals were filmed mainly at New College in one day. “It was approaching 0°C that day, so we were absolutely freezing in between takes”, he said, but added: “All-in-all, putting together this year’s video was a blast!”

Helen & Douglas House, an Oxford based hospice charity, provides care and support for children and young adults with life-limiting illnesses and relies almost entirely on public donations. The a cappella group donates all its profits to the charity which they have proudly been supporting for the last fifteen years and have raised over £100,000 during this time. Speaking to Cherwell, Yang said that the group regularly visits the hospice during term time to sing to the families and staff. 

Clare Periton, Chief Executive of Helen & Douglas House told Cherwell: “We would like to say a huge thank you to Out of the Blue for their continued support for our charity through bringing out songs to raise money for our charity. It has been a tough 18 months for everyone but particularly local families with terminally ill children who have needed our help more than ever. 

“The money raised from this year’s Christmas single could fund our bereavement support to help families who have lost a child and need our help during the festive season. This would not be possible without amazing supporters like Out of the Blue.” 

To donate to Helen and Douglas House, go to helenanddouglas.org.uk/donate.

Image Credit: Out of the Blue