University confirms record low 3 cases this week

Sasha Mills reports on the latest figures from the Early Alert Service tests.

The University has confirmed 3 cases of Covid-19 amongst staff and students from Early Alert Service tests for the 13th of February to the 19th of February with a positivity rate of 4.1% and 73 tests administered in total. This marks the lowest figures this term for positive test results, tests administered, and positivity rate. In 5th week of last term, 126 positive cases were reported. 

The number of tests administered to staff and students through the Early Alert Service has been slowly falling as term has progressed, and both the number of positive tests and the positivity rate of tests has remained low since 1st week. This data does not include figures from the lateral flow tests offered to students at the start of term.

From the 15th of February to the 21st of February 163 people tested positive in Oxford, according to UK government data, with a rate of 101.7 cases per 100k people in the population. This marks a 4.1% decrease from the previous 7 days of cases. 

Oxford City Council are currently supporting a campaign to make the vaccine more accessible to the community, over concerns in particular of migrants not registering with their GP due to fear of deportation under the government’s ‘Hostile Environment’ policy. Over 140 organisations have signed a statement urging the government to prioritise vaccine accessibility.