Covered Market to stay open during lockdown

Oxford Covered Market has announced that it will remain open during lockdown. In line with government guidance, food traders within the market will be allowed to operate as before. Restaurants and cafes can offer takeaways but no table service. Other businesses within the market will sell goods online, which customers can pick up at the premises.

The full list of traders who will open as normal is: Bonners Fruit & Vegetables, Cardews of Oxford, David John Pies, Go Gym Stuff, iScream, M Feller & Daughter Butchers, Nash’s Bakery, Oxford Cheese Co, Pershore Seafood, Teardrop Bar, The Market Cellar Door, and Wicked Chocolate.

The following businesses are open for takeaways: A Taste of China, Alpha Bar, Ben’s Cookies, Brothers Cafe, Browns Cafe, Colombia Coffee Roasters, Donburi Inn, Moo-Moo’s, Sasi’s Thai, Sofi de France Cafe, Taylors, and The Oxford Sandwich Company.

Finally, these businesses will operate online for the duration of the lockdown: Blue Blood Sports, Fresh Clothing, Jemini Flowers, John Gowing Jewellers, Next to Nothing, Nothing, Oxford Skate Co., Oxford Soap Company, PinGui, The Cake Shop, The Collectors Company, The Garden of Oxford. A list of the Covered Market traders’ websites can be found here.

A comprehensive list of Oxford businesses that are operating online during the lockdown can also be found here.

Boris Johnson announced last Saturday that the whole of England would be placed under Tier 4 Restrictions from Thursday 5th November for four weeks until Wednesday 2nd December. Although schools and universities will remain open, all non-essential businesses have been ordered to close, although food takeaway and deliveries can continue.

Different households are not permitted to mix inside or in private gardens unless they are in your support bubble. You can meet one person outside your household for outdoor exercise, but people are encouraged to stay home except for essential activities. 

The rules for this lockdown are slightly different from the rules during the previous one. While businesses cannot serve customers, they can keep their premises open as a base for deliveries and click and collect.

The Covered Market is a frequent hotspot for tourists, who are attracted by its wide range of independent businesses located right in the city centre. It is now managed by Oxford City Council. The market was forced to close for the duration of the summer lockdown.  

Councillor Mary Clarkson, Cabinet Member for City Centre, Covered Market and Culture, said: “The months leading up to Christmas are vital for a lot of Covered Market traders, so the lockdown has come at a really bad time.

“But the traders are – as ever – simply amazing, and I think they’re all determined to make this work. To help them achieve that, we’ve decided to keep the Covered Market open. So if you’re looking to buy fresh food during lockdown or if you’re already starting to think about your Christmas presents, please support your market.”

Image credit: Jorge Royan / Wikimedia Commons