BREAKING: Students gather in Radcliffe Square for matriculation photos

3905

Students gathered today in Radcliffe Square to take photos after their online Matriculation ceremony. Students in the crowd were often unmasked and in close proximity.

Every year, students beginning a degree at Oxford partake in Matriculation, in which they are formally inducted as members of the University. The ceremony, usually held in the Sheldonian Theatre, was moved online this year.

Afterwards, students attend a College drinks reception, then often separately take matriculation photos in Radcliffe Square and other locations around Oxford.

This year, despite the lack of in-person ceremony, students formed large crowds around the Radcliffe Camera. Photographs largely were taken in groups smaller than 6, though there were exceptions. The pictures were not organised by the university or colleges.

Some security appeared to be present to keep students away from the Bodleian, but they did not appear to be dispersing the crowd.

Oxford University told Cherwell: “We are aware that a small number of students had their pictures taken in the city centre after the online matriculation event. Our security teams reminded students to adhere to their household bubbles and to adhere to the social distancing guidelines.”

This article was updated with comment from the University at 16:45pm on 17th October.

Image: Joe Hyland Deeson