Union announces Hilary term card

Conan O’Brien, Governor Tom Wolfe, Tarana Burke and Paul Krugman are among names released on the Union’s Hilary term card. 

Television host and comedian Conan O’Brien will speak in fifth week. O’Brien has featured in and hosted American late-night talk shows for over two decades, and currently hosts his self-styled show Conan on TBS. 

The Union will host eight debates, including an ‘Empire’ debate in eighth week, and a debate on the United Nations and its role fuelling ‘An Illusion of Global Cooperation.’

Roger Hallam, co-founder of Extinction Rebellion, the high profile environmental action movement, will speak at the first week ‘Decade’ debate. The controversial figure has seen criticism for his advocacy of methods of civil disobedience; Hallam has himself been arrested and jailed as a result of protests. 

The term card also features several events and panels. There will be panels on Finance, Mental Health, and Diversity & Fashion. In addition, there will be a panel for Holocaust Memorial Day on the 9th March.  

Other speakers include designer Steve Madden, English national cricketer Jason Roy, actor Alfred Enoch, author Cassandra Clare, and Booker Prize-Winning author Bernadine Evaristo. 

In a post announcing the term card, the Union said:

“We are also putting a particular focus on our special events this term, which both reflect on lessons from the past, as in our Holocaust Memorial Day panel, as well as look to the world we will be building over the next decade, from the perception of mental health in our society to the evolution of the financial services sector.”

“Later in term, we weigh the threat of ever-increasing technological development against its positive potential, examine, in the year of its 75th anniversary, the role that the UN plays in global cooperation, and, to end the term, take a hard look at the legacy of the British Empire.”