“Absolute shambles”: students prepared to take Ruskin College to court

Students are prepared to take Ruskin College court over the difficulties many faced in trying to obtain their degree results.  

The latest in a series of controversies facing the college, students from almost every course suffered months of uncertainty after completing their final exams.

Speaking to the Oxford Mail, 22-year-old Aaron Miles said the college told BA Social and Political Studies students that their results would be delayed for “a small amount of time” in July.

“As it turns out, the results in question have never arrived and we fear they never will. This is the same for most of the students who left in 2019.”

A statement from Ruskin College said a “small number of students” final results had been delayed after the resignation of the external examiners appointed by the Open University. “New examiners have now been appointed and final results will be available shortly.”

“We have not been made aware of any students whose places on masters courses have been affected by delays to marks; in this circumstance we would expect to be contacted by the relevant institution whereby this matter could easily be resolved.”

“Our students are our primary concern and we have been in regular contact with them over the summer. We will continue to support them moving forward.”

A controversial year, Ruskin College faced accusations of “victimisation” following several disciplinary and redundancy threats directed at members of the University and College Union (UCU) earlier this year.

A rally was organised in April following the suspension of Dr Lee Humber, the UCU’s representative at Ruskin College.

At the time, the UCU said in a press release: “UCU is calling for the immediate reinstatement of Dr Lee Humber and for the bogus charges against Lee to be dropped.”

Last month, the entire social work department of the college also resigned after four tutors were made redundant.