To mark the celebration of Oxford Pride, Oxford City Council have raised the Rainbow Pride flag above their offices in Abingdon.

In previous years, Conservative Councillors had reportedly stopped the flying of the flag above the Chambers.

A Tweet today from the Oxfordshire Liberal Democrats said “After years of the Conservatives blocking the LGBT flag from being flown in Abingdon, the Liberal Democrats running the Town Council have made some changes.”

Today’s parade is Oxford’s sixteenth celebration of the Pride festival, with the city playing host to a wide variety of events celebrating the LGBTQ+ community.

Oxford Pride escribe their goal as creating “a fabulous festival celebrating queer life in Oxfordshire and our unique city of Oxford.”

Events have been held within the University, as well as throughout the local community. These have included comedy nights, Queer Arts Exhibitions and a Pride Symposium held at Oxford Brookes.

Henna Khanom, Co-Chair of the OUSU LGBTQ+ campaign, told Cherwell: “This years’ Pride offers a chance for the city and student communities to come together to celebrate queer histories, movements and legacies. Particular highlights are the Alain Locke Memorial Lectures, the Beyond Brideshead: Queer Oxford talk at the Ashmolean, and of course the day itself, which thousands of people are expected to attend.”

“The LGBTQ+ Campaign will be marching as while the Queer movement has accomplished so much, there is so much left to be done; something especially important given that this year is the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots.”

Oxfordshire Town Council ahs ben contacted for comment.