Rock, Soul, Techno – Trinity has it all

Arthur Charlesworth runs through the highlights of Trinity term's music scene

If you think rock ‘n’ roll is the best revision break, Cellar has some fine offerings. Liverpool loudmouths Queen Zee will paint the place pink on Monday first week (23rd April) while similar soapbox shouting will come courtesy of Blackpool trio Strange Bones on Monday third week (7th May). Come down to see why these guys are nominated for ‘Best Live Act’ at the 2018 Unsigned Music Awards.

Chaos will equally ensue when West London post-punksters Sports Team play on Wednesday of third (9th May). With the following week offering some lush Lo-Fi in the form of duo Her’s (12th May) before the week after will see The Underground Youth play to some youths underground on 17th May. For fans of Sonic Youth be sure to catch Drahla on Thursday of seventh (7th June) for some abrasive guitar galore.

But its not all guys and guitars. Friday of 0th (20th April) sees the return of Soul Sessions with trio 3Peace DJing and playing an exclusive live set! Saturday of first week presents another Cellar first: a vinyl-only night. Headlined by Sunil Sharpe, who has played at the likes Tresor, Berghain and Fabric, for fans of techno it cannot be missed. While linking in with their upcoming production of Huxley’s Brave New World, 472 Productions will showcase a night of art-pop and industrial funk on Thursday, second week (3rd May).

The Bullingdon also has some fine club nights to offer. There’s Gun Fingers with Murlo on Saturday of 0th to get you back into the swing of things, and then a continual stream of beauties to make cocking up exams a real possibility. Chaos in the CBD headline the Easter Party on Friday, first week, while Simple and Musical Medicine will serve up weekly entertainment to wet the whistle, before Dr Feelgood treat us on Friday of eighth.

In amongst the tribute acts, the O2 has some fine offerings. Touring in support of his fantastic debut, Isaac Gracie is set to captivate the place on Saturday of 0th closely followed by the emotive electronica of Will Heard (26th April).

This is also the best place to show off your stamina, with the This is May Day celebrations running from 11pm to 6am. If your dad’s in town on 4th May, take him to the Bullingdon to see Wilko Johnson, 70s pub-rock band Dr Feelgood’s legendary guitarist. The day after sees folk hero Frank Turner take to the stage, before the laid-back indie of DMA’s (10th May), manic Marmozets (11th May), and big-chorused Black Honey (14th May) to round off a marvellous month. Although, the biggest name may have been saved for sixth week, with Miles Kane on Saturday 2nd June.

Trinity: it is the worst of times and the best of times. Sure, it’s summer and there’s plenty to stress about. For finalists, I hope that the film of this term will be the Graduate. But if it all goes pear-shaped, don’t worry; with all this good music about, at least, it will have a half decent soundtrack.