George Entwistle, former Director-General of the BBC, is thought to have enrolled at Oxford University studying a part-time masters course in the history of design with the Department of Continuing Education. 

Mr Entwistle’s latest move follows his media silence for the past year after he became the shortest-serving Director-General in history, having to resign after 54 days in the job at the end of 2012. His resignation came after a harrowing 15 minute interview with the BBC’s own John Humphreys in which Entwistle was unable to defend a false Newsnight report that implicated Lord McAlpine in a child abuse scandal.

Despite being in the job less than three months, Mr Entwistle received a £450,000 pay-off, which, as Exeter JCR President Ed Nickell put it “should cover his first battels”.

The Department of Continuing Education and Mr Entwistle, e-mailing form a St. Catz Nexus account, declined to comment. However we hope he enjoys this weekend’s matriculation along with the rest of the freshers.