Union staff under fire for unauthorised purchases

Controversy has erupted at the Oxford Union over the decision by members of staff to implement a costly security project without the knowledge of the society’s President or the authorisation of Standing Committee.

The committee gave their approval to the principle of a new security system being installed in response to a series of incidents.

However, at the end of Trinity Term, a special adjournment motion was levelled to prevent the implementation of a standing committee decision until it had been debated by the chamber this term.

During the Summer Vacation, staff at the Oxford Union hired contractors and began work on the security system, which would require new membership cards to gain access to the buildings during open hours.

The Senior Treasurer, Mr. Stephen Dixon, admitted that it was he who had originally set plans in motion by consulting with the Oxford Literary and Debating Union Trust (OLDUT), the charitable association of old members which owns the Union Buildings and funds modifications.

He had advised the Bursar, Ms. Lindsey Warne, who is also employed by the society, that such a system should be implemented, and the work began without the knowledge of members when the President, James Dray, was away from Oxford. On his return to Oxford the President requested that it be immediately halted.

“I was informed that the Bursar had been advised by the Senior Treasurer, after consultation with fellow trustees, that the gates should be installed. In light of the Special Adjournment Motion (SAM) submitted on 25 June 2009 I have instructed the Bursar to immediately cease installation,” he said in a statement to the members.

Some members were angered by the unauthorised installation, which they felt to be against the democratic principles of the society, including Daniel Johnson, who had brought forward the special adjournment motion.
“The ultimate power [of the society] lies with the members via termly elections and the chamber. [The Bursar] has shown that she does not have the least respect for that.

“She was present in the meeting of Standing Committee where you announced the SAM and explained its impact, and yet never raised it with you,” he said in a letter to the President, in which he called for an investigation.
“Quite simply, we can have no faith in her ability to partake in the administration of the Society.”

The Senior Treasurer emphasised his commitment to the members of the society, but conceded that he had advised the work to go ahead before being put to the membership.

“I agreed that the system would not be activated until after the SAM had been resolved, such that members would continue to have free access to the premises exactly as in the past until after the members had voted. If anyone is to be held responsible then I accept such responsibility, but will strongly defend my decision,” he said in a statement.

However, many members of the Standing Committee were angered by the actions of the Bursar and the Senior Treasurer, especially as the President had not been consulted.

“It surprises me that charitable money was sunk into a project that might not have been used,” said Aled Richards-Jones, Chairman of Consultative Committee, in Monday’s meeting. Standing Committee voted that the work had been in breach of the SAM, and therefore had contravened the rules of the society.

The Bursar conceded that informing the President of the implementation of the system had “slipped her mind”, and made no further comment.
The Union rule book makes no clear reference to the position of staff in such a situation.

One member commented, “Union insiders were openly questioning whether the Bursar’s actions could lead to further consequences and whether this, coming at the end of a string of similar acts, might be the final straw.
“It is unclear at this time whether Standing Committee has the right to dismiss the bursar.”

However, The Senior Treasurer rejected any such notion. “Any attempt to remove the Bursar over this matter will result in an external tribunal at which I will strongly support the Bursar who has acted in the interests of the Union throughout.”

James Dray agreed that there had been controversy over the staff’s actions. “Over the past five days a number of allegations have been levelled against various members of staff with regards to the installation of a security system at the St Michaels Street entrance of the Oxford Union.

At a meeting yesterday, standing committee agreed that a special adjournment motion had been breached.