Oxford Care Services face spending cuts

Britain’s largest public sector union has alleged that over 300 NHS workers providing support for those with learning difficulties face being sacked by their employer TQtwentyone, unless they agree to changes in pay and working conditions.

Unison have stated that the workers they represent face pay cuts of up to £3500 from their annual salary, and their holidays being shortened by eight days a year. The union say that workers in Oxfordshire, as well as Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire, will be affected.

TQtwentyone, which provides care services for people with learning difficulties, rejected Unison’s criticism. A spokesperson told Cherwell, “A number of claims made by the union are incorrect and misleading. TQtwentyone has an excellent record of providing social care for a number of years. Our priority is to continue to exist to provide that care and support to people.”

They continued, “To be able to operate our income needs to match our costs – at the moment it doesn’t. We are trying to protect the jobs of our valued staff. Our support services are not funded by health budgets through the NHS; they are mostly commissioned by local authority social services departments.”

TQtwentyone rejected the accusation they are “sacking people”. The spokesperson stated that staff affected will not see changes for over a year, and will keep the same NHS pensions, bank holiday enhancements, and travel benefits. 

TQtwentyone said, “Staff have been fully supported through this unsettling period of change and we have continued to try to work with the unions over these changes.” 

Dan Turner, Publicity Officer of Oxford University Labour Club, argued, “Cuts like these make an absolute mockery of the Government’s claim that their efforts to tackle public sector spending are fair or effective. It’s clear that the pressures exerted by three years of austerity have already had a demoralising effect on staff, and the inevitable result of further attacks on workers’ positions is that standards will continue to slip.”

He continued, “Perhaps the biggest insult is that this attack comes in the wake of a costly and unnecessary reorganisation of the NHS that has already cost millions, which could have preserved jobs and standards.”

However, one Oxford student opined, “I think it’s really difficult. Obviously it’s not fair for the staff to have their pay cut but if the cuts are really that necessary to make sure they can still supply their services then I can understand that. Hopefully they can come to some sort of compromise.”

Unison was unavailable for comment.