Alpaca and “excessive” garden party discussed at Magdalen

Sunday’s Magdalen JCR meeting saw the decision taken both to spend £2,500 on a garden party at Magdalen, and the failure of a motion to buy an alpaca as a “means of relaxation.”

The decision to spend £2,500 on a garden party at Magdalen, passed unanimously but was later hailed as “excessive.”

The party, to be held on 1st June, follows last year’s Diamond Jubilee Garden Party, described in the motion for this year’s event, as “a stonking success.” However last year the Diamond Jubilee Garden Party’s organiser, Hamish Hunter told Cherwell that “the rarity of the event” was why it was “generally thought that it was worth celebrating the landmark in style. There was recognition that the Diamond Jubilee was a very special event and the Magdalen JCR should join the national and college celebrations.”

This year the budget has been raised by £300 to £2,500 in order to try and “allow all members of the college to enjoy the highest quality garden party in Oxford at minimal battel costs.”

Magdalen fresher Jack Barber commented, “The party will provide a good opportunity for students of all years to come together and have a good time.”
However, Elisabeth Brierley, a Magdalen student said, “Although the garden party is a good idea, especially as Magdalen isn’t having a ball, spending £2,500 seems a bit excessive. Surely, they could spend half the money on the garden party and spend the other half on a more worthy cause, like a hardship fund.”

In the same meeting a motion to buy an alpaca failed when concerns were raised about the real amiability of these animals.

The motion noted that “many members of the JCR would appreciate having an animal to pet or generally spend time with as a means of relaxation.”
Eden Bailey, the proposer, commented on the failure of the motion, “Some members of the JCR had personal experience with alpacas which was not as positive as my research had suggested so I am not entirely gutted (like a fish) that the motion did not pass… I hope that [Magdalen JCR members] were not fabricating information in order to foil my humble attempt to support student well-being.”

She further said, “I fully intend to continue my quest to improve welfare of students through nature but my next attempt at doing so will be even more heavily supported by research. There is hope yet. Perhaps in the form of terrapins.”