Brasenose College student dies

A graduate student at Brasenose College has died. James Worthen, who was studying Classics, died in Bristol last week.

Avon and Somerset Police have said, “The death is not being treated as suspicious”. A spokesperson was also able to confirm that he was found in a gorge area near the Cumberland Baisin.

A spokesperson for the college released the following statement through the University Press Office:

“Brasenose College is deeply saddened by the death of James Worthen, who died on Sunday May 10th aged 22.

“James had come to Brasenose from Bristol University to read for the MPhil in Greek and Latin Language and Literature. He performed extremely well in this course, achieving consistently high marks, and had received AHRC funding to continue to the DPhil. As well as pursuing academic goals he played football for Brasenose and chess for the University, and was a well-liked member of college.

“The College’s concern at this time is for James’ family and friends; they are in our thoughts and prayers; and we ask that their privacy is respected in their time of grief.”

The University declined to comment further, but reminded students, “The College is sensitive to the needs of students at this difficult time and support will be available both from the College and from the University through the usual channels.”

The Oxford University Counselling Service provides free and confidential assistance for students with personal, social, emotional or academic problems. For more information, see the Counselling Service website.