Captain’s Corner: OUCC

Following a relaxed wintry start to the cricketing calendar, Women’s Blues Captain Hannah Davis turns her thoughts to the upcoming season.

When did you start playing cricket?

I began my cricketing journey at the age of 8, playing in the garden with my dad and brother. By the time I was around 9, I joined the boys’ team at school and my involvement in cricket continued to grow when I became a member of Tring Park CC and progressed through the boys’ age group teams up to U15. When I was 10 years old, having never really played girls cricket, I was invited to play for Buckinghamshire U11 girls’ team, and this was when my love for the game properly started. Since then, I have played for Buckinghamshire for a very enjoyable 9 seasons. I’ve formed some great friendships and had the honour of making my debut for the Women’s 1st XI at the age of 13, as well as taking on the role of captain last year. Playing for Bucks gave me exposure to a higher level of cricket, allowing me to participate in the Sunrisers academy and 2nd XI which has been a great experience to be a part of a professional environment. I am now also playing at Berkhamsted CC in their Men’s and Women’s teams. The upcoming season brings a new challenge as I am hoping to make my debut for Essex women following training with them throughout this winter.

How did varsity go last year? Are you looking forward to this one?

Last year, our T20 varsity at Lords was unfortunately rain affected, finishing as a tie under DLS (although I am sure we would have managed to win if we were able to finish the game!). Our 50 over varsity was a very close match with Ellie Micklewright scoring 50 and Victoria Bagge a career best 78 not out. After scoring 254, we put ourselves in a strong position. However, despite taking the game down to the last over, an individual score of 188 not out from the Cambridge captain proved too strong for us on the day. This season, our varsity games are at Lords (9th May) and Arundel (22nd June). We aim to dismiss the Cambridge captain early and secure victories in both games. We would greatly appreciate as much support as possible!

Who are the ones to watch in this team?

Jo Cull – Our captain from last year was one of the top run scorers and most reliable batters. It will be exciting to watch her have another successful season this year!

Niamh Lynch – Having joined the team last year relatively new to the game, it soon became apparent that Niamh had a lot of natural talent and would challenge for a place in the varsity side. Unfortunately, an injury thwarted this, but I am excited to see what Niamh can do on the pitch this season.

Evie Mayhew – Evie is new to the team as a fresher this year and after her first session in the nets, it was clear that she would be a very useful seam bowling all-rounder. Evie is certainly in strong contention to open the bowling this season, being one of our quickest, most consistent bowlers, as well as getting good shape on the ball. I am looking forward to seeing her take lots of wickets this season.