The sporting landscape of 2054

Today’s sporting scene is largely unrecognisable from thirty years ago, having undergone radical changes in efforts to amplify interest, increase profits, and deliver entertainment to a globalised audience. In another thirty years’ time, the future of sport will again present an alien scene to us, though given sport’s inseparable relationship with politics, it would be prudent to consider what the repercussions will be.

Newfound Saudi interest is one of the most contentious issues in the current sporting world,  with an estimated £5 billion being spent over the past three years across football, golf, F1, and various other sports. Following Cristiano Ronaldo’s pioneering transfer to Al Nassr, The Saudi Pro League has experienced an influx of elite stars swapping esteemed European football for higher paying careers at distinctly lower levels. 

Footballing interest has also operated outside of its own domain; in 2021 Newcastle United was taken over by a consortium of the Saudi Public Investment Firm (PIF), the sovereign wealth fund of the country. Effectively controlling its investments and assets, the PIF is one of the globe’s richest clubs. Saudi Arabia have also created the LIV Tour, a controversial rival to the PGA establishment that has lured away many players via lucrative contracts. They are also set to host the 2034 Football World Cup, the 2029 Winter Olympics, and the 2034 Asian Games – testaments to their embracement of global sporting culture, and the forging of their own sporting legacy.

The gulf state has, however, been met with accusations of ‘sportswashing’, strategically staging sports events in order to deflect criticism away from their poor human rights records, and environmental impact from fossil fuel exportation. Saudi Arabia has dismissed such criticism, with crown prince Mohammed bin Salman stating that: “if sportwashing is going to increase my GDP by 1%, then we’ll continue doing sportswashing”. Prince Abdulaziz, the Saudi sports minister, branded such claims as: “very shallow”, indicating his antipathy and suggesting that investment will continue to accelerate. Whether Saudi bear the fruits of their labours or whether their ambitions will fizzle out will be interesting: it is clear their political motivations interlace with their sporting ambitions and thus such decisions will have potentially damaging global repercussions. 

Women’s sports are also likely to continue upwards trends of interest and investment. Although figures like Billie Jean King have advocated for policies of equal pay for men and women since the 1970s, it has only been after the turn of the century that equal pay in sports is becoming more prevalent, occurring at different rates across various sports. In 2007, Wimbledon and the French Open began offering equal pay, ensuring that all four slams had pledged parity and setting a precedent for other sports to follow. Motorsport has developed racing series for women to create opportunities for women to progress through the sport, such as the W Series and F1 Academy. Women’s football has seen a significant uptick in investment, viewing figures, and public interest, helped by their recent successes in both the European Championships and the World Cup. Signalling intent for the upcoming decades, the government recognised such international success with a £30 million injection to develop million to develop opportunities for the next generation of Lionesses. 

Despite these success stories, there is still much progress to be made across various sports. F1 President Stefano Domenicali suggested that it would be highly unlikely for women to enter the sport this decade, extending the wait for the next female driver since Giovanna Amati in 1992. Whilst the FA have instilled equal pay for national representation, club salaries massively differ for men and women, with the top players in the WSL sitting at roughly £200,000 annually – a stark difference from the £20 million earned by top male players in the Premier League. 

There are systematic issues too that signal an underlying misogyny pervading women’s sport. Spain’s World Cup triumph was overshadowed when Luis Rubiales, then Spanish Football Federation President, kissed Spanish forward Jenni Hermoso on the lips following their victory – a non-consensual act which he staunchly defended. Despite his dismissal, the incident tarnished the legacy of a groundbreaking World Cup for women’s football, highlighting the stark need for change in the future.

A lighter avenue worth considering too is the rise in popularity of different sports. Whilst interest in more mainstream sports is likely to remain unchanged, less traditional sports may witness greater engagement from fans for a variety of reasons. The Paris 2024 Olympics will include breaking, sport climbing, surfboarding and skateboarding – four relatively unorthodox sports. These disciplines appeal to a younger demographic, meaning the sport may garner a viewership that grows alongside its own development. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has also acknowledged the possible inclusion of esports in future Olympics. The debate surrounding the classification of esports as sports has been divisive, but the IOC will find it hard to ignore the sizeable figures that livestreaming video games draws in and will not want to risk alienating a young audience. Availability and accessibility are key factors in promoting playing sports; padel, dubbed the ‘world’s fastest growing sport’, and spikeball are gaining traction due to their low-cost and low-skill entry thresholds.  These sports will likely surge in viewership figures over time, introducing people to sports they may have been unfamiliar with and generating interest around them.

There is ample room for improvement in the sporting world over the next three decades. Environmental considerations must be heeded and pledges such as that of F1 to be carbon neutral by 2030 must be met. Gender equality has improved but further progress must also be a priority. Avarice will test the ethical values of countries and sportspeople, challenging sport’s integrity. It may be idealistic to hope for a more sanguine sporting future in 2054, but considering the progress that has been made from thirty years ago, the future of sport has a lot to offer and will be indubitably intertwined with environmental and political considerations.