Leo Buckley disqualified as Oxford Union President-Elect

Following an investigation into two alleged counts of electoral malpractice, an Oxford Union tribunal has disqualified Leo Buckley as President-Elect. Buckley was found guilty on one of the two counts, which led to the tribunal ordering a recount of the remaining votes. Consequently, Julia Maranhao-Wong has been elected with 523 first preference votes, while the option to reopen nominations received 224 first preferences.

The two charges brought before the tribunal against Buckley were communication of illicit statements under Rule 33(a)(i)(1) and harassment under Rule 33(a)(i)(28). The tribunal found Buckley not guilty on the first of the two charges but ultimately ruled that he had engaged in “conduct that amounts to harassment, bullying, or victimisation in connection with the election.”

Under the Union regulations, harassment is defined as “engaging in unwanted and unwarranted conduct which has the purpose or effect of violating another person’s dignity, or creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating, or offensive environment for another person.”

In addition to voiding Buckley’s election victory, the tribunal ordered that he be suspended from the Union until 10th Week of Trinity Term 2024.