“The poetry of motion!”: Toad of Toad Hall Review

Toad of Toad Hall A.A Milne’s adaptation of Kenneth Grahame’s 1908 beloved classic The Wind in the Willows, is a testament to throwing responsibilities away. It begins, rather excitingly, by Mr. Mole saying ‘Hang spring cleaning!’ which, honestly, sounds like a wonderful idea. 

This irresponsibility is, of course, expanded on by Mr. Toad who learns nothing and continues being insensible to the world around, with little remorse and even less sense. The play centres around Mr. Toad’s latest craze – an obsession with motorcars, even though he can barely drive – and his friends’ attempts to rehabilitate him. It is ultimately a play that is a little bit about friendship, but mostly about the madness you would expect in a child’s imagination. There features ‘a different kind of rabbit’- not to be confused with a ‘normal rabbit’, eight car crashes, a ditty primarily about ducks and a scene of creepy ‘Wilwood animals’ prowling about the stage in jumpers and sports jerseys, headed by the angry Chief Weasel (Elliott Wood).. 

Toad of Toad Hall starts with Marigold (Cathy Scoon) and her Nurse (Kat Surgay) lounging on a picnic blanket (set by Keira Cumming). Green light streaming (by lighting designer Tilly Jackson Long), the scene mirrors a perfect summer day, a gentle reprieve from the tragic beginnings of winter outside Michael Pilch theatre. Marigold is spirited, and it is through her imagination that the world of Mr. Toad and his friends and many enemies are realised. Scoon’s Marigold is delightful; you are convinced not only that she is a child, but one of the select few that are able to elicit the adoration of all around. 

‘The world has held great heroes’, the titular Mr. Toad sings,’ but never a name to go down to fame […] [like that] of Toad’. This is the marvellous myth that Mr. Toad in Toad of Toad Hall, directed by Niamh Jones, tries to perpetuate, convincing no one.

Mr. Toad (Beth “Fitz” Fitzpatrick) is truly conceited, oblivious and magnificent. Fitzpatrick’s portrayal is nothing short of phenomenal; everything from their walk and song leaves no doubt that this Mr. Toad is revelling in chaos. A sight that would make Grahame, and even his friend Oscar Wilde, proud. In particular, Fitzpatrick’s use of physical theatre when they imitate driving a car is both humorous and quite convincing. Although the play was interrupted by a fire alarm part way through the first act, Fitzpatrick and the other members of the cast firmly remained in character.

The play was as comforting as the novel in part due to its charming characters. The main cast included Mr. Badger (Antonia Anstatt), who was effectively repetitive, hilarious and who had known Mr. Toad’s father, grandfather and, notably, ‘his uncle the archdeacon’. Besides Mr. Badger are the affable and universally beloved Mr. Rat (Matt Sheldon) and the endearing, sweet-tempered Mr. Mole (Wren Talbot Ponsoby). All three make for characters that are not only distinctive, but are also enviable friends. Anyone that can deal with Mr. Toad is sure to be exceptional-  and in Milne’s play, we find three. 

Overall, Toad of Toad Hall is a romp through the adventures of trying to manage that one mad friend that also features cosy moments of friendship, carols and luncheons. It is a production with a fiercely talented cast and is a lovely way to demolish any lingering bits of fifth week blues.