A Very Short Guide to Art Gallery Dates

There are a million better ways to spend an afternoon than moping around a largely windowless building with a complete stranger and an inability to remember where the exit is. Despite this, art gallery dates remain oddly popular, with couples week on week traipsing to galleries. Art is in many ways a sort of stepping stone to deep and meaningful connection. Gallery dates are not without their difficulties but we here at Cherwell have some advice on how to handle art gallery dates, from how to look at the art, how to talk about it – and when to leave.

Looking at the art is the bulk of the work. Take a minute to take in the painting. When you look at it, what do you notice? How do you feel? Simply allowing a piece of art wash over you can open up so many observations, which will in turn provide you with something to talk about. It may be something completely trivial – maybe you think someone’s face is painted in a weird way, or that you want a particular piece on your bedroom wall – but any connection with the art is a good one. Art is supposed to produce a reaction – just let it do its work. 

Ultimately, the aim of an art gallery date is to foster a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere where both you and your date can appreciate and learn from the art together. Asking open-ended questions is the best way to start conversation. Each piece can be a conversation starter, offering a window into the other person’s feelings and perspective on things. Begin by sharing your initial impressions and feelings about a particular piece, and maybe venture into asking questions about specific details of the painting. Avoid technical jargon and instead focus on emotion and personal connection to the work. 

Of course, there comes a point in every art gallery date where you notice that one or both of you is walking a little slower. Yawning, perhaps. Or, more obviously, looking around for an exit. That’s when you make arrangements to leave. Find a natural break point, such as the end of a room or section, and get out. Most galleries and museums have a café, and this is a great place to decompress, share your thoughts, and congratulate yourselves – you just about managed to survive the gallery date.