Over 300 protest in support of Palestine

More than 300 people gathered on Cornmarket Street to protest in support of Palestine today, eventually ending the demonstration at Manzil Way. The protesters were accompanied by a large police presence, as they chanted “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.” The rally was organised by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign with support of the Oxford Palestine Society (PalSoc). One counter-protester was removed from the demonstration by police.

In a social media announcement before the event, PalSoc stated its objectives with the demonstration were to “demand Israel end its violent imposition of a system of occupation, apartheid, and colonization over the Palestinian people.” The student society further argued that “the offensive launched from Gaza can only be understood in the context of Israel’s ongoing, decades-long, military occupation of Palestinian land,” while adding that they “mourn the incalculable loss of life this week and the tremendous harm inflicted upon all affected citizens as events continue to unfold.”

Beginning the protest, one speaker said “let’s keep everyone safe today; let’s conduct ourselves with dignity and peace.” He advised the protesters not to speak to the media, as “every word you say to the media will be distorted.”

Speaking to Cherwell, one protester said: “We’re here today because of Israel’s actions and to show support for Palestinians. Countries like our country and the USA are so quick to show support [for Israel] when the Palestinian people have been suffering for such a long time.” She added: “I think the UK has the utmost responsibility to Palestine.”

When asked about what the role of students should be in the conflict, one student at the university replied “it’s difficult to do anything materially when you’re in a different country.”

An older gentlemen commented that the problem is “not new”, but rather “a frozen conflict that occasionally starts burning, followed by a little bit cooling down and then again.” He explained that “no one approves of war or terrorist attacks, but then you have such an asymmetry of power and possibilities – it’s not equal.” 

The Socialist Workers Party set up a stall at the protest with a Palestinian flag and distributed dozens of “Freedom for Palestine” pickets. They also gathered signatures to end the selling of arms to Israel. Speaking to Cherwell, their representative said: “The British people need to push their government to stop selling arms to Israel, an apartheid state that perpetuates systemic oppression.”

Protestors also held up various posters including an “end the siege, stop genocide” poster and chanted “resistance is justified when people are occupied.” Another popular recurring chant was “one, two, three, four, occupation no more. Five, six, seven, eight, Israel is a terrorist state.” 

When asked by Cherwell about the protest in front of his church, Rev. Anthony Buckley, vicar at St Michael’s church said: “I strongly believe in the right to protest, it is very important for anyone to be able to demonstrate as long as they are not too disruptive.”

In response to the protest, the Oxford University Jewish Society told Cherwell: “The protest organisers have not acknowledged or denounced Hamas’ antisemitism, which we are afraid will embolden those who wish to use this moment to target Oxford’s Jewish community. Furthermore, statements made by the Palestinian Society advertising the protest have minimised Hamas’ terroristic activities over the past week. We believe the glorification or justification of the killing of any innocent civilian is unacceptable.”

The American Jewish Council has also previously said that, while advocating for Palestinian statehood is not antisemitic, any slogan that calls for “the elimination of the Jewish state, or suggesting that the Jews alone do not have the right to self-determination, is antisemitic”.

Oxford has also updated their statement today, writing: “The impact of the appalling attacks by Hamas, and the deep concerns for the civilian Palestinian population and hostages in Gaza itself are understandably being felt by communities across the world, including in our own. Our thoughts are with all those suffering and we stress that there is no place for antisemitism or hate for any faith at Oxford.”

The demonstration comes at a time when Gaza is under siege and Israeli authorities are reporting over 1,200 Israeli deaths. Factoring in the reported 1,500 dead Hamas fighters found within Israeli borders and the 900 people Gaza officials claim have been killed by Israeli air strikes, the total number of deaths from the war is now well past 3,000.