Protests at the Students for Life Freshers’ Fair stall include two SU sabbatical officers

CW: abortion

The ‘pro-life’ Students for Life society has once again been the cause for protests at the Student Union Freshers’ Fair. One protestor held up an “Abortion is a Human Right” sign in front of the stall, while two sabbatical officers – the VP Activities and Community and the VP UG Education and Access – joined in, holding up an SU infographic about abortions. 

In previous years there were similar protests, with various student societies criticizing the stand. In 2021, protestors also took the stall apart and threw away its contents. The Student Union has previously also attempted to add trigger warnings to stalls that students may find distressing.

The protestor, who wished not to be identified, told Cherwell that they had been in front of the stand for roughly one and a half hours. They stated: “I’m here standing outside the Oxford Students for Life stall at Freshers Fair because I don’t think they should be here, and because I think people should be aware that there is opposition to this in Oxford.”

“We’ve had a really positive response from students coming past. So many people thanking us for being here and that really shows why we need to be here: to show the students, show the Freshers that really so many of us are welcoming and do believe they deserve the right to an abortion, even if a few of them don’t.”

They said that the stallholders have “interacted with us a lot”, adding that “they’ve been very friendly.”

In a statement to Cherwell the SU stated: “Oxford SU is a supporter of the right to peacefully protest and the right of students and groups to hold diverse philosophical beliefs in line with the law. Both groups of students were able to excercise [sic] those rights this afternoon.”

Students for Life told Cherwell: “Numerous people of all ages and positions in the university approached our stall this year to sign up, thank us for being there, express appreciation and support for what we do, or ask how they can access the Student Parent Support we offer. All the conversations we had at our stall, including those with people who disagreed with our position, were insightful, respectful and valuable (we hope to both sides). Because of this, we are saddened by the fact that, in the eyes of some, our presence requires protest.”

“What is more, in light of recent years’ events, we find it regrettable that SU officers deem it acceptable to behave in such an explicitly political manner. Nevertheless, we support and respect others’ rights to voice their views and protest peacefully, as we do our own.”