Hertford to build new sustainable graduate centre

Molly Dineley reports on planned expansions at Hertford College.

Hertford College has announced plans for a new graduate centre, with a specifically environmentally sustainable design in mind. With the partnership of the John Porter Charitable Foundation, the College will move forward with plans for a centre of “living, working and social spaces” in the centre of Oxford. The new project, set to be placed between Winchester and Banbury Roads will address both student and environmental needs.

The centre will be one of the next steps of ‘Hertford 2030’ – a series of objectives including expanding access to the College, provisions for students, and a plan to reach carbon net-zero by 2030 that was announced back in May. A report from the Conference of Colleges in May found that 95% of colleges have made energy-saving initiatives, with Hertford, for example, being one of 21 colleges to implement insulation and draught-proofing and one of 30 to implement Led lighting. 

Hertford’s official announcement came after the University released its own initiative earlier in 2021, the Environmental Sustainability Strategy which made into policy what was desired by many a student and staff member. The strategy aims to achieve “net-zero” carbon emissions by 2035 looking at priorities such as “Research”, “Carbon emissions from University buildings” and “Biodiversity”. 

The new Graduate Centre will advance on all these goals, using “the best of sustainable contemporary design” to create a low-carbon academic setting. The further announced Porter Centre for Diplomacy will be used to progress ideas on many topics, especially around climate change, so that innovation can be sparked and the 2030 goal can be met. 

The Porter Foundation has worked on an environmental graduate building before as well, funding the ‘Porter School of Environment and Earth Sciences’ that opened in 2014. Wastewater recycling and solar energy are used in the school to make a vitally eco-friendlier environment. The graduate school is at Tel Aviv University and was Israel’s first LEED Platinum status building, the highest US Green Building Council ranking possible. 

Behind the Foundation is Hertford alumni John Porter, a 1971 PPE graduate, who hopes the development marks “the beginning of an era of great growth and impact” for the College.

Hertford principal, Tom Fletcher, said in the College’s press release that the £25million donation (the largest ever made to Hertford) will be “transformational [in changing] the lives of generations of Hertford students” and that he is “look[ing] forward to welcoming John back to Hertford for the launch”.

Image: Simon Q/CC BY-NC 2.0 via flickr.com