Department of Chemistry Professor Kylie Vincent appointed first Academic Champion for Women in Entrepreneurship

Matt Schaffel reports on Professor Kylie Vincent’s appointment as Oxford’s first Academic Champion for Women in Entrepreneurship.

Oxford University has appointed its first Academic Champion for Women In Entrepreneurship, Chemistry Professor Kylie Vincent.  The post has been created to support the University Strategic Plan 2018-2023 and the Knowledge Exchange Strategy, which focuses on developing innovation and entrepreneurship at the University.

The role is expected to require Professor Vincent to spend two days per month working to support the University’s commitment to diversity in entrepreneurship. The Professor will work in her role with IDEA (Increasing Diversity in Enterprising Activities), a new initiative set up by the University which aims to reduce the barriers faced by underrepresented groups in enterprise and industry. Additionally, as part of her role, she will work with Enterprising Oxford, Divisions Departments, the EDU, and other researchers and professionals who provide support to entrepreneurs.

The role has been set up to provide ‘academic leadership for the discussion, and potential development and implementation of a Woman in Entrepreneurship Strategy’, according to the University website. Professor Vincent will also be tasked with providing a voice for women already interested or actively involved in entrepreneurship.

Chas Bountra, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Innovation) and Professor of Translational Medicine, said: “I am delighted to announce Kylie Vincent’s appointment as the first Academic Champion for Women in Entrepreneurship. Kylie brings a wealth of experience in entrepreneurial activities, including patenting, technology innovation, and research commercialisation, and is an active advocate for women in academia.”

Image Credit: Andrew Gray/CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons