Oxford's oldest student newspaper

Independent since 1920

How to register to vote in the local elections before the 19th April deadline

Matilda Gettins explains how to sign up for local elections on 6 May.

Which elections are taking place on the 6th of May?

On the 6th of May, local elections will be taking place across the UK. In Oxford, you can cast your vote for the Oxford City Council, for Oxfordshire County Council, and for the Police and Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley.

Why does it matter?

Voter turnout is often lower amongst young people, but issues in local elections also affect young people. Oxford City Council can regulate housing policy and prices, make decisions regarding parks and leisure facilities, and take environmental action.

How do I register?

You can register online in under 5 minutes. The deadline for registration is Monday 19 April. 

Can I vote in elections at home and in Oxford?

If you live at a different UK address during the holidays than during term, you are allowed to vote in elections in both council areas, as long as you are registered at both. This rule applies only to local elections, and not to national ones. 

I won’t be in Oxford on May 6th. How can I vote?

You can apply for a postal vote, and have the voting papers sent to a different address to that of your Oxford residence. The deadline for applying for postal vote is 19 April. 

You can also apply for a proxy vote, allowing someone else to vote on your behalf. The deadline for applying for proxy votes is 29 April 27.

I’m not a UK citizen. Can I vote in these elections?

If you are a qualifying Commonwealth, Irish or EU citizen you are also eligible to vote, given you are not excluded from voting for legal reasons.

I don’t have a national insurance number. What do I do?

You will be asked for your national insurance number for registration. If you can’t remember it, you can look at past payslips or fill out a form requesting it. Alternatively, you can also register without entering a national insurance number. In this case, you will be sent an email asking to provide alternative documentation, such as a picture of a passport, ID card or residence permit.

Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash

Support student journalism

Student journalism does not come cheap. Now, more than ever, we need your support.

Check out our other content

Most Popular Articles