Review: Mischief Movie Night

Ben Igielman reviews Mischief Movie Night, an improvised comedy show streamed during lockdown.

If you’re missing the theatre then livestreams of shows are an excellent way to keep enjoying it! Mischief Movie Night, an improv comedy show streamed by Mischief Theatre, is a great way to spend a night in lockdown.

The beauty of improv is that each performance will be different. In just three shows, I witnessed a horror set in a nursery, an angsty vampire teen story set in a French palace, and a spy thriller in the Amazon.

The show is cleverly set up with certain (higher paying) audience members streaming via zoom and contributing ideas for the improv, with the rest viewing via a link. The cast also take to twitter for ideas, leading to wild inclusions such as the spy turned love-interest koala bear, and the award for “most dramatic opening of an umbrella”. I never thought the opening of an umbrella could be dramatic. A full improvised musical number later, I was proved wrong.

The actors were sharp, witty and full of energy despite lacking an audience. Dave Hearn, Bryony Corrigan and Henry Lewis were all hilarious, but it was Harry Kershaw who truly stood out, switching characters effortlessly from a four poster bed (yes, really) to a spy, continuously forgetting his character’s name yet playing it for laughs, and bringing enormous energy to his performance in order to win the award for “loneliest conga line”.

Mischief Movie Night is a funny and engaging show that is sure to brighten up even the darkest lockdown night.

Image Credit: Gudmund Thai. Licence: CC BY 3.0.