Six Oxford professors elected as Fellows to Academy of Medical Sciences

Six Oxford professors have recently been awarded Fellowships by the Academy of Medical Sciences, an independent body which represents the diversity of medical sciences in the UK.

The researchers honoured by the Fellowships include Professor David Bennett, Professor Peter Brown, Professor Ervin Fodor, Professor Peter Friend, Professor Cornelia van Duijin and Professor Matthew Wood. All six were elected amongst fifty other leading biomedical and health scientists.

The Academy of Medical Sciences works to secure a future in which both UK and global health is improved by the best research, and describe their mission as translating this research into ‘benefits for society’. They also strive to ensure that the UK leads global research into biomedical and health science.

Professor Sir Robert Lechler PMedSci, President of the Academy of Medical Sciences, said in a statement upon the announcement of the new Fellowships: “I am delighted to welcome these 50 new Fellows into the Academy’s Fellowship. Each one has made their own outstanding contribution to biomedical science, and together they are advancing the health of our society in the UK and internationally. Their work affects us all, from the way we keep healthy through our lifestyle, to how we are treated if we become ill, to the way we receive information about health.”

Professor Sir Lechler pointed to the importance of the work of the elected Fellows during the current crisis in his statement to the Academy, saying: “never has there been a more important time to recognise and celebrate the people behind ground-breaking biomedical and health research, working harder than ever to further knowledge and protect patients and the public.

“It brings me great pleasure to congratulate the new Fellows, and see our Fellowship grow to even greater heights of evidence-based advice, leadership and expertise.”

The new Fellows will be formally admitted into the Academy on 25th June 2020.

Image credit to Mike Peel / Wikimedia Commons