Cai, 2nd year, Chemistry, St. Hugh’s 

First impressions?

He seemed kind, friendly and relaxed, and had a nice voice.

Did it meet up to your expectations?

Yeah, we had some interesting discussions and didn’t realise that we hated each other on a fundamental level, so all in all I’d call that a win.

‘We didn’t realise that we hated each other on a fundamental level, so all in all I’d call that a win’

What was the highlight:

Probably talking about the ethics of gene-based targeted adverts.

What was the most embarrassing moment:

There wasn’t really an embarrassing moment during the call, save for a hiccup in getting the call going that made him think I’d stood him up.

Describe the date in 3 words:

Interesting, fun and uplifting

Is a second date on the cards:

I would hope so: we’ve added each other on Facebook and I’d certainly at least want to remain friends

Charlie, 1st year, Spanish and Italian, Jesus

First impressions?

Given that the link didn’t work for half an hour, my first impression was “thank God I haven’t been stood up”, so pure relief.

‘We got onto genetics and he mentioned alcoholism while I was taking a sip of wine’

Did it meet up to your expectations?

In general, speaking to a stranger over zoom was less awkward than you might think. I was expecting a 40 minute silence, but that’s not what happened.

What was the highlight:

“Is your water hard or soft?”

What was the most embarrassing moment:

Apart from the panic around the link not working, probably when we got onto genetics (don’t ask me how) and he mentioned alcoholism while I was taking a sip of wine.

Describe the date in 3 words:

Enjoyable. Funny. Wholesome.

Is a second date on the cards:

As friends, yes.