Pro-EU candlelit vigil held on Brexit Day

A ‘Proud to be European’ event will be held by pro-European Oxford groups this Friday, to mark the date of the UK’s exit from the European Union.  

Oxford for Europe, Oxford European Association, and European Movement (Oxford region) are organising the event to “celebrate nearly 50 years of EU membership, and to reaffirm our European identity and future.”

A candlelit vigil will be held on the steps of the Town Hall at 6:45pm, followed by a public ‘Proud to be European’ meeting in the Town Hall. This will be opened by the Lord Mayor, Cllr. Craig Simmons and Oxford MPs and MEPs will also contribute.

At 11pm, when the UK officially leaves the EU, there will be a “final vigil by torch and phone light.”

The next day, a street stall will offer croissants on Cornmarket and the Town Hall will fly the EU flag over the weekend. 

During the first week of February, the Town Hall will also be flying the flag of twin city Grenoble, and vice versa. 

Organisers of the event said: “The pro-EU movement will not just fade away. Oxford is and will remain a European city, open, welcoming, and supportive of our fellow Europeans.

“We want the light from Oxford to be a sign of our hopes for the future as a genuinely international city.”

The controversial referendum result in Oxford three years ago was 70% Remain, with a 72% turnout. Since the referendum in 2016, Oxford for Europe has organised many major public events and street stalls.