Oxford University Jazz Society have welcomed in the new year with the announcement of the launch of their new independent record label, JazzSoc Records.

Describing the project as an “offshoot of JazzSoc proper”, president Liam Gesoff sees the purpose of the label to be a celebration of the wealth of talent within the Oxford Jazz scene.

A completely student-driven initiative, the label’s aim is to promote the interests of the existing club’s constitution; stating that “the support, development, improvement and promotion of both the performance and appreciation of jazz music in the University of Oxford” are its core objectives. As an often overlooked genre in the wider student body, the label stands as a service to the thriving student jazz community, both in listenership and musicianship.

3rd January 2020 marks the label’s first official release: All In, a three-track EP of ‘groovy post-bop jazz’ from band SNARP.

The self-produced EP introduces the talents of students Huw Cheston, Josh Cottell, Joe Zacaroli, Tom O’Connor and Leonard Maassen, featuring Mikey Ahearn and Jonny Danciger, with artistic direction by Sophie Nathan-King. Gesoff told Cherwell that “the album really is a first-class exposition of the true potential that Oxford has to offer jazz music.”

As well as the promise of more “exciting and raw” musical releases throughout the year, the label is also affiliated with Tuesday’s live music nights at Mad Hatter. The line-up for Hilary term is confirmed and is due to be released through JazzSoc imminently.

To find out more about the label, its artists, and what they have in store for 2020, information can be found at jazzsocrecords.studio. All In, and all future releases will be available to purchase on the website and to stream on all major digital streaming platforms.

To get in touch with the label for further information or if you have an interest in getting involved, you can find them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jazzsocrecords, or via email at [email protected].