Oxford Citizens Assembly on Climate Change opened to members of public

The opportunity to observe the Oxford Citizens Assembly on Climate Change has been extended to members of the public.

Oxford City Council has opened registration to observe the Oxford Citizens Assembly on Climate Change on the weekends of 28-29 September and 19-20 October.

The citizens assembly, which will take place at Said Business School, is by invitation only and is not open to the public.

A small number of places have been made available for members of the public to attend the proceedings after high public interest in participation and in the name of transparency.

The assembly will meet in Oxford to consider new carbon targets and additional measures to reduce emissions after councillors unanimously declared a climate emergency in January.

Over the two weekends, participants will learn about climate change and explore different options to combat carbon emissions through presentations from experts and workshops.

The first of its kind in the UK, the assembly involves a randomly selected representative sample of Oxford residents.

An independent advisory group, comprised of councillors from all parties, will provide governance and oversight.

Members of the public who want to register to observe the assembly should email their name, postcode and the date they wish to attend to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Assembly observer’.

Oxford City Council will randomly select observers before 11:59pm on Friday 20th September.

All presentations will be filmed and broadcast through the council’s social media.