Professor Andrew Burrows, a fellow of All Souls College, has been appointed to the Supreme Court.

A Barrister and Honorary Bencher of Middle Temple, Professor Burrows is Professor of English Law at the University of Oxford. He will join the Supreme Court on 2nd June 2020.

An alumnus of both Brasenose College, Oxford, and Harvard University, his work focuses on private law.

Burrows is the main editor of the compendium English Private Law which produces textbooks on English contract law and the legal treatise A Restatement of the English law of Unjust Enrichment.

Popular amongst judges, Baroness Hale said in her 2017 Hamlyn Lecture at the University of Exeter: “there are few, if any, legal scholars whose writings are more frequently cited in our courts.”

Queen Elizabeth made four new appointments on the advice of outgoing Prime Minister Theresa May, including Lord Hamblen, Lord Leggatt, and Lord Reed, a Scottish judge, who will become the next president of the Supreme Court.

Succeeding Baroness Hale, Lord Reed has sat in the Supreme Court since 2012 and served as deputy president for the past year.

While Lord Hamblen and Lord Leggatt already sit in the appeal court, Professor Burrows has sat as a part time Deputy High Court Judge for more than 20 years and he was a Law Commissioner for England and Wales.