First CofE vicar to be in same-sex marriage becomes LMH chaplain

Foreshew-Cain quit as a vicar in 2017, citing the "institutional homophobia" of the Church of England

The first Church of England vicar to be in a same-sex marriage has temporarily been made chaplain for Lady Margaret Hall.

Andrew Foreshew-Cain was appointed to the role for this term, covering for the sabbatical of LMH’s permanent chaplain.

In April 2017, Foreshew-Cain attracted national headlines when he resigned as a priest and left his London parish, citing the “institutional homophobia of the church” which he believes has put him on a “blacklist” with the Anglican church.

Foreshew-Cain’s new role is not a Church of England appointment. LMH is an independent institution outside the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Oxford, meaning the chaplain does not require a licence from the Diocese of Oxford.

Foreshew-Cain says he has devoted LMH’s chapel theme to “living with difference” and emphasised a message of “acceptance and equality”. He told Cherwell: “In the world today, it’s really important to learn how we live with each other in peace and understanding.”

A spokesperson for LMH said: “Andrew Foreshew-Cain was recommended to us and his
appointment was approved by our Governing Body. We are delighted that Andrew is here and making such a positive contribution to the college.”

A spokesperson for the Diocese of Oxford said: “We wish Andrew well for his term of ministry at Lady Margaret Hall.”

Last month the College of Bishops met in Oxford to discuss how the church could improve its relations with LGBT Christians.