Blind Date: “I had to reclaim my seat from a toddler having a tantrum.”

The two PPEists have a political date with an unexpected guest

Emily Westlake First Year, PPE, Keble

Finding Elliot was easy – I just had to look out for the other solo per- son awkwardly loitering, and fol- low the Life editor’s non-specific descriptors such as ‘relatively tall’. Finding a table however was slightly more challenging – brave to choose Turf as a meeting point on such a warm summers evening – but a small table shared at close quarters with two strangers adds a certain comfort to plunging into one on one conversation with a totally new person. Conversation flowed easily – admittedly, as two PPEists, we had common ground in talking about politics. I never like to judge a book by its cover, nor do I like to jump to any conclusions, but I remember thinking he was a little bit older, so it came as a sur- prise that he’s a second year, and actually younger than me (cougar alert)!

First impressions? 

I remember thinking he was a bit older.

Quality of the chat?

Political. With a few awkward silences.

Most awkward moment?

An unexpected third party (a baby).

Kiss or miss?

We parted with a friendly hug.

Elliot Gulliver-Needham, Second Year, PPE, Corpus Christi

I was waiting outside Turf Tavern, anxiously scanning every person who walked past, when Emily showed up. When we walked in to get a drink, I was surprised by how not-awkward it was, even when a toddler tried to steal my spot at the table we were sitting on. After finally getting the toddler to leave, we ended up chatting mostly about politics (both of us are PPE students). But I won’t say who was (or seemed) more informed. As the date went on and the pints flowed, I ended up spilling embarrassing secrets about my Tumblr past, as well as talk- ing about how much the 2015 election hurt me personally (it was the night I found out I was allergic to cats). I was particularly jealous of her stories of working on the American election. After a few hours and many Peronis, we parted ways and I went and got an Ahmed’s (on my own). A good ending to a good date.

First impressions?

She was down to earth and laid back.

Quality of the chat?

Surprisingly high.

Most awkward moment?

Trying to reclaim my seat from a toddler having a tantrum.

Kiss or miss?

Kiss.