Oxford standoff ends after shots exchanged

A 24-year-old suspect was arrested at 3am this morning after negotiations with police at the scene

A standoff between police and a gunman near the Westgate centre has ended peacefully after 17 hours, according to police.

A 24-year-old suspect was arrested at 3am this morning after negotiations with police at the scene.

South Central Ambulance Service said that one person was being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Thames Valley Police said yesterday they were called to the scene at 1:15 pm yesterday afternoon and that they exchanged fire with an armed man.

Residents, who were evacuated from the street, have gradually been allowed back into their homes. Some police are still at the scene but most of the road closures have now been lifted.

Negotiations between police and the gunman continued yesterday and went into the early hours of the morning.

Heavily armed police were seen at the scene along with sniffer dogs, ambulance services, and fire services. At one point, fire services unrolled a hose onto Paradise Street to use in the standoff.

Earlier in the day, an Ambulance crew carried a stretcher through the cordon, but it was not used afterwards.

As the evening drew on, paramedics were seen carrying large lights through the police cordon.

Residents and onlookers gathered at a local pub on Paradise Street and said that the event had “brought them together”.

One resident told Cherwell: “ I woke up and there was a lot of shouting and dogs were fighting outside. I came outside and there were police cars everywhere – some marked and some unmarked. One up round the castle and round the road here.”

Pembroke College, which is near the scene, warned students to avoid the area.

In an email, seen by Cherwell, the Deputy Home Bursar said: “Due to an ongoing security incident, please be advised to avoid the Westgate Centre and the area around the Castle.”