Blind Date: “Our first attempt was marked by a minor mishap”

Charlie Blake and Jack Sagar find that when it comes to dates, it's second time lucky

Charlie Blake, Second Year, Engineering, St Catz

Our first attempt at meeting was marked by a minor mishap – we couldn’t find each other. I couldn’t help but think that this was some kind of omen… but following our initial confusion, we finally arranged to meet for a pleasant Saturday morning coffee. I had actually only woken up less than an hour ago before the date, following a fun-filled Pride Entz the night before, but nevertheless I donned a smile and cute jumper ready to meet him. After the initial greeting one another, conversation quickly went into standard freshers questions, such as name, college, subject, year etc. Topics of conversation ranged from Malala to going to Wetherpoons with your teachers, but all in all I’d say that it was a generally pleasant time.

First impressions?

Is he a DPhil student? No, he’s a fresher – the beard deceived me.

Quality of the chat?

Wide range of philosophical questions, 10/10.

Most awkward moment?

Trying to say I had to leave.

Kiss or miss?

Miss.

Jack Sagar, First Year, PhilThe, Mansfield

He seemed to be in a bit of a rush, just by the way he walked up to the café. But, that’s because I suppose that he wanted to be on time. I thought he was attractive, and was just grateful that he wasn’t a 6’4” to my 5’8”, and I was looking forward to getting to know him over the next hour. Conversation appeared to have owed well, and we covered all the big topics: Eurovision, greenstick fractures and student-tutor relationships. We were quite receptive to one another’s views, and able to add to what the other had said. It was the sort of conversation where I did not feel that aware of the time, nor did I find myself wondering what to say next whilst he spoke. When it came time to say goodbye, I wanted him to know I’d had a nice time, but was too awkward to articulate that.

First impressions?

It seemed like he was in a bit of a rush.

Quality of the chat?

Topics were broad and ranging, demonstrating his worldly insight.

Most awkward moment?

The goodbye…I started rambling.

Kiss or miss?

Kiss.