Stormzy receives ‘person of the year’ award from Oxford ACS

Grime superstar Stormzy was in Oxford to receive his award from the Oxford African and Caribbean society

Today Stormzy consolidated his iconic status after being named ‘person of the year’ by the Oxford African and Caribbean Society (ACS).

The award-winning grime artist – real name Michael Omari – was in Oxford to receive the award.

“Today I received the “Person Of The Year” Award from the Oxford University ACS,” Stormzy wrote on Instagram.

“I was in a room full of young black Kings & Queens who inspire me more than they could even imagine. Our future Leaders, CEO’s, Moguls etc. You lot gas me and motivate me. Let’s get it”.

https://twitter.com/Stormzy1/status/884767295863738369

Stormzy, who won best grime act at both the 2014 and 2015 MOBO awards, recently donated £9,000 to an Oxford student, Fiona Asiedu’s crowdfunding campaign to attend Harvard University. Asiedu gave the award to Stormzy at a conference earlier today.

https://twitter.com/MansaCam/status/884789389729071104

Oxford ACS is a student-run society, which works to “celebrate and represent” students of African and Caribbean heritage at Oxford University.

In May, a photo campaign launched by the group – showing black students standing outside the Bodleian library – went viral, promising to “debunk myths on race”.

Stormzy received his award during the group’s annual access conference, a day-long event aiming to “demystify the Oxford application process” for prospective black applicants. Stormzy addressed over 150 state school students of African and Caribbean heritage alongside Oxford students.

Oxford ACS hailed Stormzy’s “amazing contributions” to the society.

Speaking to Cherwell, the President of Oxford ACS, Renée Kapuku, said: “The person of the year award is annual. Stormzy was awarded this year for his outstanding contribution to the society and wider community. He has served as a role model to many young people, and demonstrated a profound commitment to education.

“As a society dedicated to equipping young people of African and Caribbean heritage with the tools need to make the best choices for their future, Stormzy epitomizes everything we wish to impart on the students we engage with.

“He demonstrates a passion which aligns with ours – using our platform and using the space we occupy to positively impact future generations. The Annual Access Conference, one of the largest student-led conferences in the U.K. for students of African and Caribbean heritage, is one of our greatest opportunities to do this.”