Review: The Handmaid’s Tale

★★☆☆☆
Two Stars

The crucial issue with this interpretation of The Handmaid’s Tale is you absolutely need to have read the book. If unfamiliar with the story then entry into this extremely experimental piece of theatre will scare you – and possibly cover you in red cloth. Also enter aware that this is an opera. Against a haunting background of accordions, strings, piano, a cappella and by the end several large glass empty bowls, the story of Offred is played out.

A ‘Handmaid’, or birth surrogate, in the totalitarian regime of a future American dystopia, the constant change of actress portraying her character is another source of confusion; although it did highlight well the loss of personal identity, this theme is more effectively conveyed before anyone sits down. A mute selection of performers direct audience members to remove their coats and shoes to be draped instead in the striking crimson dress of the Handmaid’s, who then – silently – escorts you to your seat, creating an opressive mood instantly.

The successful scenes continue in this vein, expanding upon Atwood’s themes. The ceremony is distinct, made even more dehumanising and uncomfortable than one could imagine, by the lack of a bed but also the most effective use throughout of repetition in song. The epilogue strikes the correct note of scholarly satire and clarification while the recorded tapes are also used well.

However, the majority of scenes dragged on too long. Multiple long pauses of almost five minutes left audience members wondering if this was a technical fault or a chance for poignant reflection. If the latter, again while once an effective technique, it was, like many others in this piece, overused. Played out atop a giant scrabble board some metaphors are stretched to their extreme and in many cases, while Atwood’s prose is award-winning, do not suffer well the conversion to song.

The music takes precedence. Melancholy notes are evocative although they never seem to reach a high volume and impactful crescendo, which may also have made the end of this production easy to spot. While it tries hard this production is undeveloped though coloured with a few strikes of potential.